Digital Marketing Award: Melissa Romero

romero_header

At Evergreen Beauty College our students are trained not only in the skills that they will need to be not just successful stylists and artist, but successful entrepreneurs and professionals.

The world of beauty is fueled by digital and social media, and it is our duty to aid our students in navigating the landscape of a media rich economy.

This month, Melissa Romero is being recognized for her digital marketing efforts!

Learn about her journey with Evergreen  and what she does to keep her digital marketing efforts top-tier.

About Melissa

Melissa’s love for hair and style isn’t a new one, it’s been a part of her life for as long as she can remember.

In fact, when she was a senior in high school she toured the Evergreen campus but was still undecided about what career she wanted to pursue.

Melissa spent several years in retail before deciding to return to school to pursue her passion for hair.romero_3

“I had a couple of friends who went to Evergreen and really enjoyed it. It was the first and only school I saw when I searched beauty schools and took a tour of and loved it! It just took me a little bit to actually start school.” said Melissa about her choice to enroll in Evergreen.

The Evergreen Experience

Melissa says part of the appeal  of Evergreen is the community exposure that the students get.

“The Back to School event where we provide free haircuts and mini facials to students K-12 because I get to meet all the kids and the look on their faces after we provide these services are so awesome because the kids and their parents are so thankful; that feeling is amazing.” said Melissa.

Though she loves the field of cosmetology, Melissa says that her strength is in men’s cuts.

romero_4

“Men’s cuts can actually be as diverse as women’s long hair cuts and you can be just as creative. My favorite cut for men’s is any kind of fade using clippers!”

Learning to perform men’s services has been fun for Melissa, and she has developed her own customer approach.

“I am honest and willing to answer any questions they have. Whether people are asking me questions, or if I’m complimenting someone’s hair and then educating them on it.” said Melissa. “Clients should book an appointment with me because I do my best to make it about my client. I listen to their needs and their wants and try to go above and beyond to give them want they want.” she said.

Melissa said that unlike some stylists she is very bold with her clients, with respect to voicing concerns. She said that it’s important to communicate tactfully but effectively in the long run.

“If a client has black hair and they want to go all over blonde, I know it’s not realistic to give them exactly that look in one appointment so I inform them of the expectations that I wouldn’t be able to give them the look in one appointment without damaging their hair and educating them on what is and isn’t possible and what we can do to move forward.” said Melissa.

The Next Step

When Melissa completes her program at Evergreen she hopes to find a salon owner to mentor with so that she can get more exposure to the fundamentals of running a business; but more specifically a salon.

“If one day I want to own my own salon I want to truly  understand the ins-and-outs of managing appointments, rent, retail, etc.

” said Melissa.

romero_2

She had some words of wisdom for continuing students, “work on your credits while you’re in school! Don’t get behind on them! So you don’t have to stress about getting them done and learning to balance everything else you need.” Melissa said.

She added that students should take the chance to learn as much as they can while in class and on the floor; and then learn some more.

“Go to hair shows, watch how-to videos, watch videos on YouTube and Instagram and follow hair stylists because there’s always something to learn and stay eager about learning. Work as hard as you can and practice!

” said Melissa adding that she wished she had pushed herself to study outside of class time.

“You get so busy during the day, that it can be easy to let things slip that you thought you had down” she said.

Melissa closed her statements by adding that she doesn’t just share her work to show off her skills “it’s for sharing with others how happy my clients are when they leave. It brings me great joy to feel like I made a difference in someone’s life.” said Melissa

Catch Melissa while she is still available at the Everett location, and follow her on Instagram: @m_lynn92

Author
Frank Trieu
Vice President of Business Development & Industry Relations

Frank Trieu is a cosmetology industry leader, and despite his accomplishments and accolades, he still prioritizes students on the Evergreen campus. Through building relationships within the community and local salons, retail stores, and spas, he helps facilitate job placements for aspiring beauty professionals using his expansive network.

Share:
Happy Evergreen Beauty College Students

GET STARTED ON YOUR NEW CAREER PATH TODAY

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments