Modern Salon Magazine Names Evergreen Beauty College Finalist for Job Placement Programs 4th Year in a Row
On November 17th 2014, Modern Salon Magazine honored Evergreen Beauty College as one of the top 3 beauty colleges multi-unit category in North America in Excellence in Education for “Placement”.
They were joined by Bellus Academy in Poway, CA as well as Tricoci University of Beauty Culture in Oak Brook, IL. You can see the press release here.
Evergreen Beauty College has been honored by Modern Salon in the past for our job placement efforts in being a finalist. Below are some unique programs they have in place to assist their graduates with job placement:
1. Online Job Board: they have stepped it up and launched an online job board this past year where salons and spas have been able to post job opportunities. They have nearly 200 job postings in the last 6 months and am approving jobs daily. They recognize it is not only about getting their students the ‘first job’ but to provide them an ongoing resource to continue their career. The benefit to this board versus other commercial boards is that these salons and spas have a relationship with their campuses and have given preference to their students.
2. Integration of Salons/Spas into our Graduation: They rent out the Lynnwood Convention Center three times a year to truly recognize their students, staff and local salons and spas. It’s a red carpet event with a jazz band, photographers, videographers, etc. and have flown in commencement speakers such as AACS President Christine Gordan, Rhoda Olsen (CEO of Great Clips) along with other industry leaders to address their graduates in their commencement and help their graduates be better prepared for the future.
They have anywhere from 500-700 people attend with a strong showing from the industry with nearly 40-50 salon owners, managers, etc. At the graduation, they have followed Modern Salon’s lead and offered their own “Excellence in Education Award” to a salon or spa that has gone above and beyond to help in student education. This has encouraged salons and spas to really step up to help their our education and ensuring student success.
They have also designed an opportunity for graduates to give shout outs to their families, friends and Salons/Spa’s on the stage. Interestingly enough, students that have recognized salons/spas on the stage have actually received job offers in the following weeks because they were memorable enough to be granted an interview!
3. Test Outs involving salons: For their student test outs, they have local stylists, estheticians, and nail techs as evaluators for test oust for their students. This gives a real life score to their students as well as gives better understanding for the businesses on the capability of their students.
4. Opportunities to interact with Salons/Spas outside of the Classroom: One of the most memorable opportunities was when they sent their students to “Nail Camp” where they did a weekend retreat with local salon/spas, product companies, and educators to celebrate the nail industry. This allowed the students to not only work with local salons/spas to promote the industry but to build ‘true relationships’ by unifying together to push the industry forward. This not only has secured job placement but also laid the road for others to follow. This past year, Evergreen Beauty College had 3 of the 10 national winners in Beauty Changes Lives Tippi Hedren Scholarship come from Evergreen’s campuses. When the salons and spas heard about that, they were quick to come to the school to recruit!
5. Manager Panels: Evergreen provides panels of managers at different levels of business (single location, chain, medical, and spa) all in one room for their students to do Q&A and hear all the different perspectives.
6. Helped Nuts & Bolts Business Training launch NabLink: this is online placement program provided by the Nuts & Bolts Business Training program. Evergreen added 5800 salons/spas to their list in our local area to place their students. They believe this is one of the reasons they were voted Nuts & Bolts School of the Year in 2013.
7. Externship: this program allows students to work in a real salon towards the end of a students’ program. This gives students experience, gets them face time with the managers and by passes the resume stage for job hunting. At the end of the program, the manager of the salon/spa provides a survey with a series of questions about the extern and if they would be looking to hire or not hire our graduate to capture feedback.