Cracked Lips: Causes and Prevention
Cracked lip is probably one of the most painful problems you could have with your lips. Eating, drinking, kissing, smiling, talking, and other simple tasks can become very difficult to handle. Aside from these, you also tend to look worse when your lips are cracked. People may think you were beaten up or something. While other facial issues can be easily covered with makeup, chapped lips need to be free from any contact with lipstick.
Dry Lips Caused by Extreme Temperatures
Dry lips that ultimately crack are very common. The reason behind this is that there are many factors that cause it. One common cause is weather. During winter, when temperatures are at its lowest, dry lips are most likely to occur especially if you catch colds and you are forced to breathe through your lips. However, the warm weather of summer can also cause dry lips, which is why it is important to maintain lip care at all times.
Harmful Chemicals that Affect Lips
Certain chemicals in cosmetics and medicines can also cause cracked lips. Some of the ingredients that you should avoid are capsacin (from chili peppers), menthol or mint, phenol. benzoyl peroxide, and retinoids or alpha-hydroxy acids. This is the reason why most medications are advised to apply away from the lip area.
Bad Habits that Cause Cracked lips
Not drinking enough water is one cause of dry, chapped lips. Water provides hydration to your body and that includes your lips. Also, when you feel like your lips are dry, do not lick it. Although saliva seems like a quick way to moisturize lips, it actually dries it even more.
Simple Tips and Treatments for Cracked Lips
Dry, chapped lips can be very painful and irritating. Fortunately, this is one issue that can be easily remedied or cured. Here are some simple and affordable ways to relieve and heal your lips:
- Keep yourself hydrated with water or juices.
- Stop the habit of licking your lips. If you feel like it’s too dry, drink water or juice instead.
- Using lip balms is more preferable than lipsticks. If you must have color on your lips, choose lipsticks that contain natural ingredients and loads of sunscreen.
- A great beauty regimen is to apply and massage petroleum jelly to your lips at home.
- If your lips have developed blisters, do not peel them off. This will only slow down the healing process and encourage more cracks to appear. Instead, apply petroleum jelly or natural mineral oils and massage it with a soft toothbrush to slough off any loose blisters and to lock in moisture.
Educate Yourself on Lip Care
People who are passionate about beauty should obtain the education they need to be highly efficient and effective in this industry. We at Evergreen Beauty College can supplement you with all the information you may need to enhance beauty, including what causes cracked lips and how it can be prevented and treated. Contact us for more information on how you can get started today!