Why is My Hair Dry and Stiff?
When you think of healthy hair, you probably think of hair that’s glossy, silky and easy to manage. What happens when your hair starts looking dry, stiff, easily breakable and messy, no matter what you do? This is probably because of damage to your hair, and it can really have an impact on your image. Here’s what you need to know about dry, stiff hair.
The Causes of Dry, Stiff Hair
Why is your hair dry and stiff? On a scientific level, it’s because of damage to the cuticle. The cuticle is the outermost layer of your hair, and it’s made up of many different small scales. When these scales separate from the rest of the hair shaft, the hair looks dry and stiff. You may start seeing this effect for any of these reasons:
- Your hair has been overexposed to the sun
- You’ve done a lot of swimming in salt water or water with chlorine in it
- You’ve used many chemical treatments on your hair
- You’ve used lots of bleach on your hair
- You’ve used curling irons and blow dryers without protecting the hair
Many normal practices strip the hair of its natural protective oils. This list, for example, doesn’t mean you should avoid going out in the sun, or that swimming is suddenly harmful. It just means you need to do some special treatments afterward.
What Can You Do To Avoid Dry, Stiff Hair?
If you want to enhance the condition of your hair, you may just need to make a few changes to the way you handle it. In many situations, just by implementing some of these fixes, you may be able to get your hair back to its healthy appearance without doing too much. Here are a few things you can do:
- Wear a hat or use an umbrella outside to protect your hair from the sun
- Shampoo your hair less frequently
- Apply a leave-in conditioner to infuse moisture into the hair
- Air dry your hair or blow dry on no heat
These are best if you’ve just started to notice a small amount of dryness and stiffness, not if it feels like your hair looks like straw. In these situations, you may need some specialty applications.
Specialty Applications for Extremely Damaged Hair
If your hair has serious damage, you may need to put in some specialty work to ensure you’re getting your hair back to a manageable state. Here are a few things you can do:
- Use an egg wash, which is a mixture of egg white, water and honey that you apply to damp hair for 10 minutes.
- Add mineral oil to your hair after showering.
- Utilize a specialty treatment from an expert.
Remember that if your hair is extremely damaged, you may need to permanently change the way you wash and style your hair. This may include using a heat protectant and generally doing less damage to your hair.
Get Help With Your Hair With an Expert’s Touch
Dry, stiff hair isn’t something you need to live with. You can fix a lot of that dryness and brittleness by getting help from an expert. If you’re looking to get help with dry, stiff hair, consider visiting an Evergreen Beauty College salon. With six different locations in Washington state, you can ensure your hair gets the stellar treatment it deserves.