How to Style Hair Without Applying Heat
Daily application of heat during hair styling can cause damage to any length of hair especially long hair. So how can you achieve striking hairstyles without heat?
Hair Styling With Braids
If you want to make your hair have loose waves, braid it instead of applying heat. Braiding is a natural way of curling straight hair and straightening curly hair.
- Set the braids at night before going to bed. Your hair should be damp but not dripping wet. Use leave in conditioner and apply gel in your hair for a conditioning hold.
- Braid it in two 3-strand braids. Do not make the braid too tight to avoid damaging your hair. Secure the ends with elastic so that they do not unravel.
- If you have straight hair, you can add a curler at the ends. This will make your hair curly-ended. Cover your hair with a scarf to protect the braids as you sleep.
- Unbraid your hair in the morning and remove the end-curlers. Style your hair as you see appropriate using only your fingers. Combing it will cause frizzing.
Hair Styling With a Bun
Bun curls can make straight hair curly and straighten curly hair. If you want a loose curl, set your hair in one bun. However, if you want a curlier look, you should use many buns.
- Before setting the bun, make sure that your hair is detangled, damp and clean. If you want to make one bun, set your hair in a high ponytail and wind it into a bun. Secure it in place with plastic pins.
- If you want multiple buns, divide your hair into smaller sections and create as many traditional buns. Secure all the mini buns with plastic pins.
- Cover the buns with a scarf before you go to bed.
- Take down your bun(s) in the morning and style your hair using fingers.
Straighten Your Hair With a Wrap
If you want silky and glossy hair, you do not need a flat iron. You can straighten your curly hair by wrapping it. You will get the same straight look without damaging your hair. If your hair is tightly curled, roller setting might be necessary before you wrap it.
- Divide your hair into 2 sections before bed. Apply setting lotion and a leave-in conditioner.
- Wrap the hair around your head from the direction of growth.
- Use a wide-tooth comb to move hair on the right towards the left and pin it smoothly against your head using clips.
- After securing the right side, pin the left section down with clips as well.
- Unpin your hair in the morning and style as desired. Hair styling has never been easier.