Getting your cosmetology managers license should not be daunting especially if you meet all the requirements. It is important to obtain a license to carry out your operations legally and also attract clients.
Who is a Cosmetology Manager?
A cosmetology manager is basically a cosmetologist who oversees the activities of hair styling, manicure, pedicure, skincare, electrology and cosmetics in a salon or beauty shop. A cosmetology manager must be certified and licensed to operate a beauty salon.
How to Obtain Cosmetology Manager’s License
You can obtain a license in three different ways:
- Licensure by examination
- Licensure by endorsement or state transfers
- Reinstatement of licensure
Licensure By Examination
To obtain a cosmetology manager’s license, a student must first get a cosmetologist license. A cosmetologist license is only issued after a student meets the following requirements:
- Attend a licensed and accredited beauty school and complete the minimum training hours. 1500 hours for cosmetology and 500 hours for barber in Washington D.C. We give you an opportunity at Evergreen Beauty College at a reasonable price.
- Practice under a licensed cosmetologist and obtained a minimum of 2000 hours of practice
- Take and pass the state’s cosmetology exams
- Pass licensing exam issued by the state board of cosmetology
After passing the exam, a license will be issued. A separate license is issued for permanent cosmetology application.
Licensure By Endorsement
You could also apply for a licensure by endorsement if you are moving from a different state. The board of Washington D.C. requires that a candidate applying for cosmetology license transfer pays reciprocity licensing fee and provide a letter of endorsement showing they have met cosmetology requirements equivalent to that of Washington. You must also have passed similar exams or have an active license from your state.
Reinstatement of Licensure (License Renewal)
You could also obtain a new license if the old one has long been expired. You must however pass the current licensing exam both written and practical. In Washington, you will require six hours of continuing education before your license can be renewed.
You can renew your license online or by mail. A fee is charged for late renewals. If you are late for more than a year, the license gets cancelled and you must re-apply for a new one and take exams too.
The common reasons why people are denied licenses are:
- Failure to meet the required training hours of both practice and theory
- Criminal convictions
- Professional practice charges
By law, any cosmetology manager must have license before carrying out operations. Different states have different requirements for issuing licenses. Ensure you check with your state for specific cosmetology manager’s license requirements before applying for one.