How to Become a Freelance Makeup Artist in Washington
It’s no secret that makeup artistry is booming. Wherever you look on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, there is someone slaying the game. Are you interested in learning this art? Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you own massive amounts of cosmetics?
- Do you stay up late at night, watching YouTube video after video trying to perfect your favorite looks?
- Are you always begging your friends to let you give them a makeover?
- Are you well known at the Ulta, Sephora, and the MAC store?
- Are you looking for an amazing, freelance career?
Consider becoming a makeup artist!
How to Get Started as a Freelance Makeup Artist
Learn the Skills
This is one of the professions in which you will have to prove your abilities right away to customers. An easy way to learn the skills that are in demand is to get trained from professionals. Here at Evergreen, we offer level 1 and 2 makeup artistry courses. This training program utilizes the professional products of Make-up Designory and is taught by trained professionals. You can learn everything from airbrush and high fashion makeup to bridal and natural makeup looks, all of which you can utilize in a freelance makeup career. Our courses also offer a Makeup Artistry Certification upon completion.
Get the Tools
If you enroll in our level 1 course, you’ll receive our MUD kit, which comes jam packed with tools and products that a freelance MUA needs. If you don’t have your kit built out yet, here are the basics you should work on getting:
- Foundation of all tones.
- Mascara in black and brown.
- Eyeliner in various colors.
- Foundation sponges and brushes.
- Other disposable application brushes.
- Eyeshadow palette.
- Highlighter palette.
- Contouring palette.
Market Yourself Online
Working for someone else means you get to use their name and the trust and weight that their name carries. When you’re freelancing and working for yourself, you have to establish your brand alone, so get on it! Here’s how to start your self promotion.
- Set up social media accounts with your name or business name. Pick a good profile picture that features your face. Everyone wants to make a connection.
- Post pics of your work! Before and after photos work great. Brag about what you do, just don’t be crazy about it. Make sure to use relevant hashtags and tag the brands and products that you do.
- Interact with your audience. If you’ve got comments and question on your pictures, answer them! Along the same vein, make sure to answer direct messages.
For more social media tips and tricks, follow people who you idolize. Search out other makeup artists who use the same hashtags as you, follow people who your favorite brands follow. Mimic what you’re seeing in the marketplace.
Grow Your Book of Clients
Typically, when you do a good job, clients come back to you. Nurture the returning clients, and ask them for referrals. Offer discounts for first-time visitors, and make sure you’re making a genuine connection with all of your clients. It’s going to take time, but your book will grow if you dedicate yourself and are good at what you do.