Is a Career in The Beauty Industry Right For You?
Are you considering a career in the beauty industry? There are many possibilities: you can train to become a beautician, a nail technician, a hair stylist, an esthetician or a makeup artist, or you could aim for a management level position in a spa or a beauty salon. This is a growing industry, so there will always be job opportunities. There are also many options for career development and further training.
Depending on your skills or your interests, there are several positions in the beauty industry:
- If you like to work with people and like to be in close contact with people, good options include working as a beautician, an esthetician, a nail artist or a makeup artist.
- Do you enjoy hands-on work? Beauticians, estheticians, nail technicians and makeup artists all work with their hands and most of the work is very practical.
- Are you interested in the beauty world and do you like to keep up with the newest trends in beauty, skincare, nails or hair? These are also great skills to have for most jobs in the industry.
- Do you have management and business skills or are you hoping to learn them? You could end up managing a beauty salon or a clinic.
- If you are creative, you might like working as a makeup artist, a nail artist or a hair stylist.
A hair stylist cuts, styles and colors clients’ hair. A good hair stylist has great communication skills and is knowledgeable about different hair styles and hair types. She should also be interested in following the latest product developments and hair trends.
Nail technicians provide nail care services, such as manicures or pedicures. A nail technician might also apply artificial nails or specialize in nail art. This job requires attention to detail and a good understanding of hygiene. If you are interested in the latest nail trends and like to work with people, this could be the career for you.
Makeup artists work in a range of environments: theaters, film sets, retail environments or beauty salons. Some makeup artists work with film stars and other celebrities, but there can be a lot of competition in the high end of this field. This job is great for creative and artistic people.
Beautician or Esthetician
A beautician’s work is varied: s/he can work with skin, makeup, hair or nails. A typical day’s work could include facials, manicures and pedicures, massages and body treatments, such as body wraps. A beautician in a salon or a clinic can also take bookings, call clients to confirm appointments, sell products or advise clients on their skincare needs. Estheticians focus on skincare and often work mainly with the face.
Before you can start to work in any hands-on job in the beauty industry, you must have a license. You will have to pass an official exam to get the license, and while the requirements for licenses vary slightly from state to state, your beauty college should be able to advice you on the requirements for your area. Keep in mind that you will have to study for the exam, so you should enjoy studying and be disciplined and meticulous.
The beauty industry offers several types of positions in a wide variety of interesting environments, including spas, salons, clinics, theater, film, retail or even cruise ships. Some beauticians go on to become representatives for certain beauty brands or even create their own brands. The opportunities are endless, and the beauty industry is a great career choice for anyone who is interested in beauty, skincare and fashion.