Make-up Artistry for the Film Industry
The opportunity to be a make-up artist for film and television offers many challenges and rewards, as well as, the excitement of seeing your work on the big screen. If you are looking to pursue a career in this part of the industry, here are some tips to consider before starting your venture.
Why The Film Industry Is Ideal For Make-Up Artists
It is no great secret that the world of film rely heavily on any trade that can portray the image they wish to convey. Here are some of the top reasons these two fields are so compatible:
- The film and television industry is saturated with make-up artists. It would be possible to make the same number of films, shows and commercials for the next 10 years, even without the introduction to new talent in the make-up industry. Think of yourself as a professional athlete; you will need to train and compete for jobs and beat your competition if you want to make it in this market.
- Some artists may work daily for weeks and then not work again for weeks or even months. When you are on a job, you should plan to work 12-16 hour days and 5 or 6 days a week. Sometimes you may work during the day, other times you may work day and night, depending on the project. If you are working on a project with multiple episodes you should plan to work 70+ hours a week. Production companies are only required to give you a minimum turn around time for shifts, which is 9 hours, and that may be the only time you have to take care of your personal life while working on the specified project.
- Living in a hotel, six months to a year away from home may not be ideal for some, but comes with the territory of being a make-up artist for the film industry. While the thought of living like this may sound exciting at first, after some time you may get tired of living out of suitcases.
Reasons to Pursue a Career Make-up Artist in the Film Industry
Although there are some negatives to think about when considering becoming a make-up artist in the film and television industry, the reasons to pursue the career should also be taken into consideration. Here are some tips to follow if you decide that this is the road you want to travel.
- Be and excellent make-up artist by making sure you get the best training. Check out schools from our directory page, which lists make-up schools worldwide to help you choose the best school for you.
- Be informed in the industry. How-To’s, Reference books and DVD’s from the Make-up Artist Shop is a good place to start. Also,check out our websites, makeupmag.com and makeup411.com for the latest industry news, expert advice and more from those in the industry. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter (Make-Up Artist and Makeup411.com), and be a part of our online community, which will help you network with others in the industry. Its also a place for you to ask questions and get information from others in the make-up community.
- Attend the International Make-Up Artist Trade Show (IMATS) which features demonstrations, classes and presentations from the best artists in the business. IMATS takes place six times a year, for a weekend long training, that will teach your more in that time, than a whole month of other types of trainings and shows. Not only will you learn from the best, IMATS is also a great place to network and meet new people in the industry that could make a difference in your career.
These tips are given to you to help you make the best decision for yourself concerning the make-up industry and to help you find the best outlet for your artistic venture.
If you are looking to start a career in the beauty industry, you’ll find yourself in great hands at Evergreen Beauty College. Our accredited institution offers students access to the most cutting edge and current techniques used in the beauty world today. If you are looking to enroll in a cosmetology course, contact us.