How to Do Good Hairstyles for Curly Hair?
Although natural curls are finding a popular niche among mass media, they still can provide hours of frustration and difficulties. Furthermore, many of the popular hairstyles are geared toward straight, manageable hair, which leaves many curlies wondering what curly hairstyles they can even attempt. Despite its unique and spunky appearance, curly hair can be very tiring to manage. Because of its unruly nature, many people with naturally curly hair resort to mundane hairstyles. However, with greater understanding of curly hair, more curly people can successfully achieve trendy hairstyles that work with their own hair.
Dry Hair Never Makes a Good Hairstyle
Very few hairstyles are successful when they are attempted with dry, damaged hair. Although many hair types need added moisture to maintain their condition, curly hair is especially prone to dryness, since the natural oils cannot easily travel down the hair shaft. Since curly hair is one of the driest hair types, it needs a lot of moisture and hydration to appear healthy. Additionally, well-conditioned hair is often times much easier to manage and manipulate, making it better for styling.
Some Ways to Keep Curly Hair Moisturized
- Deep condition once a week
- Do not wash using a sulfate shampoo as often
- Use a leave in conditioner
- Seal in moisture with natural oils (avocado, olive, argan, coconut, jojoba, etc)
Learn from People with Hair Like Yours
Chances are, if you watch tutorials from people with different textured hair, your style will not turn out the same. Try to learn styles from other curly haired people. In addition to giving you realistic results, their tutorials may also provide helpful tips and tricks for doing the hairstyle with curly hair. People with curly hair may also have invented or found hairstyles that work specifically for curly hair.
Hair Care Tips for Curly Hair
- Try styling your hair when damp. Curly hair can be easier to control when it is damp. Smooth braids are much easier to create on dampened hair, because the hair can be combed and pulled much easier than when dry. On the same note, do not try to do hairstyles on soaking wet curly hair, because they will not dry in a timely manner.
- Have realistic expectations. A hairstyle done on straight hair will never look exactly the same on curly hair. Many times, a hairstyle done on curly hair will have a distinctive, relaxed look.
- Practice! Sometimes merely repeating a hairstyle on your own hair numerous times will allow you to learn your own tricks, and well as master the methodology behind the style.
- Try doing styles on stretched hair. Curly hair can be stretched without heat (by combing out the hair and twisting it into a simple bun overnight). Stretching curly hair elongates, or even eliminates the natural curl, which may be helpful for many hairstyles.
Best Hairstyles for Curly Hair
- Half up styles
- Messy buns (because it is very easy to make curly hair look messy)
- Braids (rope braids, fishtail braids, French braids, etc)
Do you Need Help With Your Curly Hair?
For those looking to learn curly hairstyles and work with curly hair for their profession, Evergreen Beauty College may be a great first step. If you are someone in desperate need of curly hair help, finding a student stylist from Evergreen Beauty may help you rescue your hair and learn some gorgeous hairstyles for naturally curly hair.