Why Hard Water Requires Extra Hair Care
Hard water hair care is one of the most important parts in a beauty regime because hair can be subjected to so much damage as a result of the calcium and lime deposits found in such water. One of the greatest problems that occurs with those deposits is that hair becomes dry and brittle, easily susceptible to breakage. While 85% of Americans live in areas with hard water, there are many things that can be done to avoid or repair any damage that has already occurred.
What is Hard Water?
Hard water actually has a concentrated amount of calcium, lime, magnesium, and manganese, exceeding 51.3 parts per million. While this may seem alarming, it is not harmful or dangerous to people in any way. Unfortunately, however, it does come with its inconveniences.
Notable Signs of Hard Water
- Soap and shampoo to lather improperly
- Soap scum easily develops on tubs, showers, sinks
- Hair color fades easier, leaving a brassy color behind
- Gray or white hair turns yellowish
- Hair is dull
- Hair is coarse or brittle
Hard Water Hair Care Tips to Avoid Damage
Special treatments can avoid damage to your hair by removing excess mineral buildup, which will close up the follicles and allow your locks to shine:
- Install a central or shower-specific water filter, or a water softener. If you prefer, you can also wash and rinse hair with distilled water.
- Another solution is using natural rainwater that you can collect over time. Run it through a coffee filter prior to use.
- Use clarifying shampoos on occasion, which are formulated to remove residue and minerals from your hair. Before buying, be sure to read the ingredients, opting for a product with a shorter list. The shorter the list, the better at reviving your hair.
- Naturally removing minerals from hair is done with a solution made of apple cider vinegar and distilled water.
The Secrets Known to Hair Stylists and Hard Water Hair Care
Hair stylists worth a dime are those who have attended a superior beauty school such as Evergreen Beauty College, where they learn about the proper hair care. Our students are trained effectively to be able to resolve hair problems, in addition to giving their clients the best cut and style in keeping with their preferred look. With us, stylists are taught everything they need to know, with the utmost confidence, so that they can relay their beauty messages to their clients. People want to feel special and they want results, whether they come from commercial products or natural ingredients they mix together. As so many people in the U.S. have to live with this type of water, they should know everything they can about hard water hair care.